Monday, July 14, 2008

she will like water, she will like water





We had a water filled weekend, to Ramona's initial disgust. After watching Ramona obsess about playing in Max's water bowl, I figured we had to try water again. Surely she must be over her fear of water if she wants to play in a bowl full of dirty, drool filled water. So, first I let her play with some Tupperware with water in it. She thought that was kind of fun (not as fun as the dog bowl though), and eventually picked up the container and dumped the water all over herself. She did not scream, just seemed a little stunned, and I even got a picture post-dump where she looks slightly pleased.

The next step was buying a baby pool. So, I blew it up (which almost made me pass out), filled it with water, put Ramona's swim diaper on, and put her in the pool. I started with just her feet, which just made her whimper, but when I sat her down in the pool......the crying really started. I'm sure that people walking by my house probably thought I was torturing her, which in her mind was completely correct. We have yet to go back in the pool, but I'm going to try again this week. The upside was that she did like the little plastic boats I bought for the pool, enough to distract her from her screaming for at least 30 seconds.

To take a break from water, we went to two first birthday parties on Saturday. Grayson and Sofia from our PEPS group turned one last week and had really fun parties. We went to Grayson's party first where we played with the other pepsters, as well as the Howells. Grayson really got into eating his cake....his mom had to eventually take some of it away, so he didn't go too crazy on the sugar. At Sofia's party we got to see Toljabee (yes, I looked it up......Sofia's mom just called it the Korean business), which is when they put out objects on a table that infer a certain career path, and then the one-year old chooses one to predict their fate. Sofia picked the dollar bill, even though her dad tried to sway her to choose the computer chip........so we'll see if she ends up working in finance like her uncle.

Yesterday was the best day of all. We walked to the market, then Ramona came home and took a nap.....so I went on a bike ride with my mom. When Ramona woke up, we went on a boat ride with the Howells, and Kim and Ben. Eric is a member of the University of Washington Boat club, so we got to go on a 26 foot sailboat, which Eric captained for us. Ramona had to wear a life jacket, which was pretty horrifying to her. I also went swimming, which was amazingly refreshing. It was a real Seattle summer day for us. It made me really love this city (and love knowing someone who belongs to a boat club). That night we had dinner with a bunch of friends, and Kim made homemade veggie burgers, yum!

It was a packed weekend in the city, and next weekend we get to go to the cabin!

No comments: